Monday, June 22, 2015

My Granny

June 23rd would have been my Granny's 91st birthday and she has been on my mind. 

This is my sweet Granny when she was 20 years old. I just love looking at pictures of her, old or young. She makes me happy. She and my grandfather had 11 children in 15.5 years. She was amazing!  My mom and I moved in with my grandparents when I was about 9 months old. 

My Granny gave the very best hugs in the entire world, you just knew you were safe when you were with her. She died in 1993 when I was 22 years old. I felt as if I lost my mother. I still feel like it was yesterday. 

My greatest regret is that my children never got to know her. The best thing I can do is tell stories about her and keep her memory alive, make them feel as if they knew her.

4 comments:

  1. I love old pictures of grandparent. That my favorite thing to do with my grandmother to look at pictures and her tell me who everyone is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Not many admire their grandparents. I wish that my grandmother and grandfather lived to see me graduate high school and college in about two years. One thing I can say is that I took the wisdom that they shared with me growing up and ran with it. Hope you are doing the same. Grandparents are the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate. My grandmother is and always has been a huge inspiration in my life. I love listening to her stories from back in the day. And I will always cherish her advice and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As sad as this is, it really made me happy. My son and I moved in with my mom when he was 2 (is 2). I realize had I stayed in the situation we were in he would never have had any real sort of relationship with her. Now I know that one day he will speak fondly of her in the same way that you speak of your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete