Monday, June 22, 2015

Go ahead and paint it

I love to paint! Furniture and rooms in my house have been subject to my paintbrush. There is not one single room in my 3 story + 1/2 finished basement home that have not been repainted. Some rooms have been painted more than once in our 14 year history at this address.

Mostly my daughters rooms have received the repeat treatment, and my kitchen/tv room. Both my daughters rooms I painted a bright sunshiny yellow when they were little. Then my oldest daughter, Michaela wanted something a bit cooler. Brown and pink were very popular, so I added a couple of twists. A magnetic wall and 3 walls of the room I painted brown below and pink above while on the fourth wall I flipped the colors and made the demarkation line diagonal.




It has changed again since, the girls keep growing up and evolving their tastes. I have also painted coffee tables, straight back chairs, desks, dressers, table legs, shelves, really just about anything.

Something I learned along the way that was super helpful, buy Glad Cling Wrap and line the paint tray with it. Then if you have to take a break or in between coats you can take another layer of the Cling Wrap and cover the paint tray and the paint won't dry up. Also keep those old plastic grocery bags and you can wrap your paint roller or brush in them and they won't dry up either. Makes a big big difference. Also wash the item first but the biggest tip is to use primer. Every single time. It might take two coats of primer before color and don't rush it. Trust me it will be worth it.

A great place to buy gently used and sometimes even new furniture at decent prices is Bates Furniture 610 SW 6th St. I have gotten a dresser, a desk, a set of four mid-century modern tables, shelves and a couple of mirrors. The owner is very fair and friendly.



1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the idea of taking old furniture and redoing it to look refreshed and usable again. My parents often go to garage sales in Lawrence so I find lots of things to redo. I'm working on a chalkboard and cork board right now. It's a unique piece but I'm hoping to hang in in my room for my roommates and I to use in the fall. I can't wait to start working on bigger pieces when I get an apartment!

    ReplyDelete